What is common between Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Margaret Alva, Faye D’ Souza, Nirupama Rao, Deepika Padukone, Aparna Popat, Anushka Sharma, Nicole Faria and Vasundhara Das? Well, all these successful women are alumni of Mount Carmel College Bangalore. Yes, you read it right. And this is not all. The list is endless!! Since the time of its establishment in 1944, this Women’s college has been achieving numerous “first” to its name, declaring it one of the most prestigious Women’s Colleges in India. No wonder, it is a dream college of thousands of girls today.
Want to be a Carmelite? Then keep reading!!
Mount Carmel College (read MCC in short), will be celebrating 80 years of establishment in 2024. For more than 8 decades, the college has continuously surpassed expectations.
More than a century ago, Mother Teresa of St. Rose of Lima believed that educating women of this country would empower generations to come. She found that education is a tool that would open the doors of opportunities for millions of youths. In 1944 in Trichur, Kerala, she laid the foundation of the college. It is distinguished as the first Women’s College of Kerala under the Madras University.
Upholding her vision, Mount Carmel College has been dedicatedly working tirelessly to transform women students into leaders of tomorrow. It has been grooming thousands of girls into informed citizens of society. Today, Carmelites have made their alma mater, their country proud by excelling in all walks of life.
To put Mount Carmel College vision in words, “ Empower students through value-based, quality and integral education, to empower others, especially the socially and economically marginalized and create a “Civilization of Love/.”
How tough is Mount Carmel College Admission?
The big question, “How tough is admission at Mount Carmel?” has a pretty straightforward answer, “merit, merit and purely merit”. Your calibre is the only criteria to get admission in this renowned college. There are no shortcuts to secure a seat at Mount Carmel.
Let us take you through the admission procedure in detail for a better understanding.
MCC is affiliated to the newly formed Bengaluru Central University in 2017. The admission procedure is guided by the rules and regulations set by Bangalore Central University.
- Announcements regarding admissions are available on the college’s website. You can also check it out on leading education portals such as “Indian Educational Services”
- All applications are mandatory to be filled online. No offline claims are entertained.
- Application fees are only accepted through the online payment gateway.
- Admissions in postgraduate and B.com are only based on merit.
- Candidates seeking admissions in B.Sc., Communication Studies, BBA, IDM should qualify the entrance examinations. Details of the same are available on the website page of the respective department.
- Candidates seeking admission in B.A., BCA, BSc and B.Voc courses will have to attend a personal interview. This is usually done after the declaration of 10+2 or equivalent examinations results.
- You should always double-check the eligibility criteria of the course that you are applying for.
- You can try your luck in more than 2 courses to see if you meet the eligibility criteria of both programs. For example, say you have studied Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics at 10+2 levels. So applying to B.Sc. with 2 different combinations would be the correct option.
What is Mount Carmel ranking amongst other colleges?
Mount Carmel College has been ranked consistently amongst the top 20 Women’s Colleges of the country. “India Today”, has been featuring Mount Carmel in its annual list of the best place to study in India for many years. In 1999, MCC was awarded 5 stars by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The college got accredited once more in the year 2015.
Here is a list of some of the achievements of Mount Carmel College.
- It became the first Women’s College of Karnataka in 1948, after transferring to Bangalore from Trichur.
- In 1964, it became one of the first colleges to be affiliated with the Bangalore University.
- The very first Women’s College to start an NCC wing in Karnataka.
- Mount Carmel College won numerous accolades for starting the PGDBA program. One of the first all-women colleges to do so.
- It was granted autonomy in 2005, and is one of the first colleges to get that prestigious status in Karnataka.
Reviews on Mount Carmel College
Mount Carmel College reviews are just a glimpse of the legacy that this institute is known for. It has the honour of being the first of firsts in the field of Women’s education. The institute has been awarded several times in recognition of its service to education and society. It has quickly adapted itself as per the changing trends in the education sector. Many a time, it has been the pioneer in coming up with innovative and excellent academics programs.
Students, parents, faculties and staff members have always been immensely proud of this institute. The college’s pristine infrastructure will without a doubt be a treat to your eyes. Lecture rooms, library, auditorium, laboratories, cafeteria, sports facilities, hostel, chapel are a part of the sprawling campus. Not just for namesake, each facility is well defined and equipped with the latest features. It is a small world in itself.
Mount Carmel College achieves its mission of, “To promote inter-cultural and inter-religious harmony and concern for the human family”, by inviting international students to its campus. Students from all over the globe are educated at this prestigious seat of learning. The number of applicants from Germany, Fiji Islands, Thailand, Afghanistan, Bhutan, China, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Maldives Gulf nations has increased staggeringly over the past few decades.
Course and Curriculum at Mount Carmel College
“To promote Value-based education”, “To provide quality integral, vocational and career-oriented education and create a climate of human and educational excellence”, are two primary missions of MCC. Mount Carmel College Bangalore runs courses in Science, Commerce and Management, Education and Humanities. With 38 undergraduates, 19 postgraduate, 2 B.Voc programs, doctoral diplomas and doctoral programs, it is one of the most sought after Women’s College today.
IGNOU in 2011 has awarded it the status of “Recognized Research Centre”. Mount Camel is proud to be a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell and Northern Essex also invites students through the study abroad program in collaboration with Mount Carmel College.
Here is the complete list of Mount Carmel College courses offered under various streams.
If you are planning to take admission in an undergraduate course, you should have qualified 10+2 level examinations from a recognized board or university. Candidates who have appeared for the qualifying examinations can also apply.
Science/ Computer Science Stream:
- B. Sc. with various combinations of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Zoology, Botany, Microbiology, Computer Science, Electronics, Statistics, Environmental Science, Biotechnology, Composite Home Science, Interior Design and Management, Nutrition and Dietetics, Home Science, Fashion and Apparel Design.
- Four years integrated course of B.Sc. B.Ed. with Physics, Chemistry Mathematics and Chemistry, Botany Zoology combinations.
- B.A. with various combination of History, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Journalism, Travel and Tourism, Psychology, English, Communication Studies, Physical Education.
- Four years integrated course of B.A B.Ed. with History Economics, Political Science and History Economics and Sociology.
- Commerce and Management Stream
- B.Com in General, Professional, Industry Integrated, Tourism and Travel Management, Business Process Services, International Accounting and Finance.
- B.Voc is offered in Analytics, Hospitality and Tourism.
The Bangalore University has identified the department of commerce and management as a Research Centre. These PhD programs are as per the guidelines laid by the Bangalore University. You can pursue research studies in Biotechnology, Botany, Commerce, Electronics and Life Science.
Post Graduate Courses are offered in science, humanities, commerce and management stream.
Master of Science (M.Sc.) in:
- Food Science and Nutrition
- Human Development
- Life Science
- Nano Science and Technology
- Plant Science and Herbal Wealth
- Computer Science
- Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Management and Auditing (PGDEMA)
Master of Arts in:
- Public Policy
- Post Graduate Diploma in Tourism (PGDT)
Master of Commerce in:
- Finance and Accounting
- International Business
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (PGDBA)
Mount Carmel College has the provision for an evening course in PGDBA. Open for both males and female students, the classes are conducted in the evening and weekends. You can opt for specialization in Human Resources, Marketing, Accounting and Finance.
UGC Funded Add-0n Course
In 2006, the University Grant Commission marked Mount Carmel as a college with Potential for Excellence (CPE). It runs Event Management and Interior Space Planning and Design course at the college premises.
Mount Carmel College came up with a Centre for Extended Education (CEE) in 2005. The aim of the centre is to impart vocational based short courses, diploma, training for competitive examinations and outreach programs.
How affordable is Mount Carmel Fees?
Being an institute with social welfare as its prime agenda, the fees structure is affordable. Once a Carmelite, you will surely appreciate the quality education that the administration avails you at such a nominal charge. The detailed fee structure is available online on the website for respective courses. You need to pay the fees on the day of admissions. If you wish to avail any concession or financial aid from the college, you must get in touch with the concerned person in the admission office.
Is there any Mount Carmel College scholarship available?
Yes, plenty. If you are one of the bright students who believe in paying for their own fee, Mount Carmel has the provision of financial aid to the deserving candidates. The Government of India scholarship schemes and private financial grants are available to help secure a future for many of its students. Some of the notable aids are:
- Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike Scholarship
- Ministry of Human Resource Development Scholarship
- Single Girl Child Scholarships – P.G. Students
- Meghalaya Scholarship
- C.V. Raman Scholarship
- Government of Karnataka – Department of Minorities Scholarship
- Government of Nagaland Higher Education Scholarship
- Sanchi Honnamma Scholarship
- SC/ST – Fee Concession
- Directorate of Higher Technical Education Arunachal Pradesh Scholarship
- Govt. of India Ministry of Labour Scholarship
- SC/ST Scholarship
- Department of Sainik Welfare Scholarship
- BCM Scholarship
- BCM- Fee Concession
- Ex-Service Pension Scholarship
- Private Scholarship
How are the placements and career opportunities in joining Mount Carmel College?
One of the most critical missions of Mount Carmel College is “To provide quality, integral, vocational and career-oriented education and create a climate for human and educational excellence.”
General Electric was the first company to come for campus placements for the 1999-2000 batches. Since then, there has been no looking back. Some of the world-class companies frequenting the placement drives include Accenture, Google, Infosys, The Oberoi Group, Mu Sigma, BOSCH, SAP LABS, Goldman Sachs, Capgemini, IBM, E&Y, Delloite, Indigo, Kuoni Group, Thomson Reuters, TATA, P&G, KPMG, H.P., Teach for India.
As a Carmelite, you will be given ample opportunities to define your career. Mount Carmel has an evident road map for placement for all its students. Formed in the year 2002, the Mount Carmel College Placement cell streamlines the complete process. All the students must register for placement. Campus recruitment training is conducted for 2nd-year students of all streams, to increase their employability quotient. Typically the arrangement starts by mid-August each academic year and continues. I.T., Consulting, FMCG, Health Care, Real Estate and Hospitality are some of the major recruiters of Carmelites.
Initiatives such as seminars and workshops, career fair, jobs and internships drive, guests lectures, talk sessions, scholarships contest, article ships and fellowship program help align students interests with job openings. Full time and part-time internships programs are invited from the corporate world to groom the students for work life. All in all, you be assured of tremendous opportunities to bag the employment of your choice and be prepared by some of the best career counsellors in the industry.
How is the Mount Carmel College Hostel?
If you are someone who gets up just 15 minutes before lecture commencement, loves to sleep late because you are binge-watching your favourite web series, famous for being messy, then the MCC hostel is not for you. But yes, for someone who is used to hostel life, and wants to get the maximum out of her education phase, it’s the best option.
The hostel has good ambience with all the necessary facilities needed for comfortable hostel life.
College life at Mount Carmel College
After school life, you will undoubtedly find your college days at Mount Carmel exciting. Apart from academics, you will have a busy schedule of extracurricular and co-curricular activities. NSS, NCC, Student union is very active in MCC. If you are talented, the college will make sure that your talent gets showcased. Carmelites have been excelling in sports, dance, and music, academics and bringing laurels to the college. Cul Ah, one of the most awaited events in Bangalore, is the annual cultural event of MCC. There will be several more events throughout the session to keep you enthralled. The college believes in a conductive environment to nurture young minds.
By the end of your college tenure, you will come out as someone responsible, socially conscious, with a sense of kinships and eco-justice ready to take on the world, promising a better tomorrow.
Mount Carmel College address is quite easy to figure out. The college is one of the best-known landmarks of Bangalore. All you need to do is put in Mount Carmel College, Bangalore on the Google map link to get the route map from anywhere in India.
Hope we have covered all that you wanted to find out about your dream college Mount Carmel. All the very best for your future!!
If you have any questions or feedback, leave a comment and let me know. I’d love to know your feedbacks!!